St Marie’s Church, built in the fourteenth century, is located in the city center. At first sight, its characteristics are the high bell tower capped with a spire, its mullioned windows, and its frontal façade enriched by a rose window and by a portal, made of white marble and “Simona” stone. These characteristics mark the passage from the Gothic style to the Renaissance style.
The interior, covered by groin vaults, is divided into three bays and a presbytery. Beautiful wall paintings from different periods and various artists adorn the walls inside.
Giovan Pietro da Cemmo and his workshop, between 1490 and 1494, created the paintings covering the nave’s elevations, the lower part of the saint arch, the bottom of the arch, the vaults and the presbytery corbels. Gerolamo Romanino and his apprentices, around 1540, painted the presbytery frescos, depicting The Virgin stories from the apocryphal Gospels. Giovan Mauro della Rovere, also known as Fiamminghino, is the author of the Annunciation, which is represented on the high altar piece.
|SUMMER TIME (From April 1st to October 31st
|08:00 am - 9:00 pm
(From November 1st to March 31st )
|08:00 am - 6:00 pm