25th Panel

THE VASO RE (RE DUCT) SYSTEM AND THE WASH-HOUSE

The system of the Vaso R (the R Duct) here in Via Resoleto (Resoleto’s Street) appears in its complexity with the structure of the duct in heap of stones, with the “gardna|l”, that is to say the duct that is still made up of stones, that diverts the water to the wooden suspended pipe of adduction, that feeds the wheels of the forges with the water that falls down.
The guillotine sluice-gate, which consents water to flow or to be stopped, is clearly evident.
Here we can also see the third public wash-house preserved along the Vaso R (the R Duct), that is of an open-air type, made up of cement and where has been engraved the date 1900. It is very simple as the one of Via Artigiani (Artigiani’s Street), with an inclined cement plate and in direct contact with the water that flows in the duct.
The big covered wash-house of Via Re (Re’s Street) is well different from the others exactly for the length of the plates inclined in order to be used by more washerwomen simultaneously and also for its large basin that allows a more comfortable use of the running water.
In Via Re (Re’s Street) there was also another not covered wash-house, but with similar sizes and was ruined during the filling in works of the duct in this area.
There is to be noticed the granite plaque placed in the wall of the Vaso R (the R Duct) on the side that overlooks the entrance to the Saint Valentina Cemetery, which witnesses the relationship with the water also during the disaster; in fact, it commemorates the two brothers Gregorio and Angelo Baffelli, victims of the Grigna River in 26 July 1846.