The Church of Saints Faustino and Giovita (the internal)
THE CHURCH OF SAINTS FAUSTINO AND GIOVITA (the internal)
It was enlarged in the second half of the nineteenth century. Behind the altar, the seventeenth-century ancon, which is in sculptured wood and rolled gold section and, in Baroque style, contains the work of Giambattista Pittoni, that represents the martyrdom of Saints Faustino and Giovita, to whom the Parish Church is dedicated. On the sides of the religious picture, there are two paintings that depict: at the left, the Archangel Gabriel and, at the right the Announced Virgin Mary. The main altar is an eighteenth-century work, made up of marble as well as the two little angels at its sides. The wooden altar, placed in front of the believers, is used for religious ceremonies; similar to the ambo (lectern), it is a work of the sculptor Giacomo Ercoli from Bienno (1913-1996). For the manufacturing of the lectern was used a walnut hammer handle; and the pedestal that now is used to support the Angel was a walnut support for the bells. On the lateral walls of the main altar, there are two paintings in light-dark, which depict Saints Peter and Paul. In the dome (1880-1896), are depicted the four evangelists and a choir of angels, that bring the Lamb of God.
It had been embellished in the eighteenth century on the occasion of the Holy Year 1750.
The right wall
The Altar of Corpus Christi and that of the Eucharist: above the Holy Communion, framed by a religious picture, is showed the painting that depicts the Last Supper (1622), a work of the Fiamminghino. The frame is made up of wood in rolled gold section.
The Altar of Purgatory or that of the Suffrage of Souls in Purgatory: the frame contains a painting that depicts the Madonna with the Infant Jesus, sitting on the clouds and supported by a host of angels. Around the Madonna there are the Blessed Souls. In the lower part of the painting, there are the Souls in Purgatory with the Guardian Angel, who helps them. At its left, is depicted Saint Teresa of Avila that brings relief to the Souls.
The Altar of the Sacred Heart: it was originally dedicated to Saints Joseph and Benedict, but since 1925 it has been called with its current name. At its centre, you can find the Christ statue that evidences the Venerable Heart.
The counter- façade:
The font: the great basic wall of the church is embellished with a magnificent compass, which was fulfilled in 1890 and with the baptistery, an eighteenth-century work made up of white marble. Above the font, there is the fresco of Saint John the Baptist. On the other side, you find the fresco of Jesus and Mary Magdalen.
The left wall
The Altar of the Virgin or Saint Ursula: the altar-piece depicts the legend of the Saint Breton. At the centre of the altar-piece you find Jesus Christ, at its left there is Saint Ursula and at its right there is Saint Catherine of Alexandria.
The Altar of Saint Augustine, differently known as Mothers Altar: the altar-piece depicts the Madonna with the Infant Jesus, who turns towards Saint Augustine. At the bottom of the painting, there are Saints Francis, Charles Borromeo and Saint Anthony Abate. This painting is the work of the Fiamminghino.
The Altar of the Blessed Virgin of the Rosary: in the rich religious picture, there is a statue carved by the local artist Giacomo Ercoli. The niche is embellished with fifteen painted panels, which depict the mysteries of the Holy Rosary. Opposite the organ, there is located the Choir, which is characterized by a large stand in front of the organ.
The vault of the nave is circular. It was completely frescoed by the Fiamminghino and his school. The frescoes, that are really magnificent, represent the story of how Christ saves the humanity. Along the sides of the nave, above the cornice, on the right, there are the prophets depicted in pairs: Baruch and Zachariah, Jonah and Micah, Jeremy and Isaiah, Moses and Joel; at the left, there are: Malachi and Agee, Habakkuk and Daniel, Ezekiel and Amos, David and Solomon.