The Church of Campestri
In the territory of the Grigna Valley there are evidences of Churches, whose location is due to the eremitic tradition; their testimonies belong to the years that followed 1222, the year during which the Church of Saint Glisente is mentioned in a document.
We recall the Chapel of Saint Defendente of which remain nowadays only some ruins, the area of Saint Peter, which is very vast and includes also the Church of Saint Peter in Vincoli, the convent and the Church of Saint Mary Magdalen.
Going along the road towards Breno you can find the little Church of Saint Peter in Vincoli (sixteenth century) from time deconsecrated. It is characteristic for its visible stone walls and for its bell gable with a bell erected on the eastern edge of the apse.
The precious altar-piece, depicting Saint Peter in chains, is preserved together with the leather frontal in the town hall. Further on, at the left, there is the steep road that leads to the Church of Saint Mary Magdalen in which there are precious artistic elements.
At the beginning of the inhabited place of Bienno is situated the seventeenth-century Chapel of Piscina, incorporated in 1716 into a new building. It contains a valuable fresco depicting the Pietà.
The route “Hermitages, sources, views, antiquities, around the Barberino Park” is rich in religious and artistic elements, which winds along a beautiful way inserted in the Park with the same name and it leads to visit churches and aedicules of medieval devotion of Malegno, Cividate Camuno, Bienno, Berzo Inferiore and Esine.